Do you know how to make your Android Phone awesome?
If you ask me, “What’s that one thing that I can do to make my Android Phone more awesome?”, It would be hard for me to come up with one definitive answer. There can be many answers to this question.
But I can tell you from where you can start..
In order to Root your phone or flash a custom ROM, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your device.
‘Recovery’ or the ‘Recovery Environment’ is what your phone uses to flash OTA updates or restore your phone after performing a factory reset.
The Android’s Recovery, also known as Stock Recovery, is very limited in terms of features. You cannot Root or Flash a Custom ROM using Stock Recovery.
And this is where third-party Recovery or Custom Recovery comes handy. Apart from performing basic tasks, it lets you carry out advanced tasks like rooting, taking full backups, flashing ROMs and a whole lot more.
There are quite a few Custom Recoveries available but out of them, TWRP Recovery is the best Custom Recovery till date.
So what is TWRP? How to install TWRP Recovery? I am about to start talking just about this.
Shall we begin?
What is TWRP Recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. TWRP Recovery is a custom recovery for Android with the help of which you can flash a ROM, root your phone and perform a lot more advanced tasks.
The reason why TWRP Recovery is the best Custom Recovery is that it gets updated very frequently and supports a large number of devices.
You can see a list of all the supported devices from here.
Also read: SuperSU: Installation Guide
But how to install TWRP Recovery? It’s easier than you think. The procedure is a bit long but don’t worry, I’ll guide you through each step in the easiest way possible.
And here we go…
How to install TWRP Recovery?
Before I begin with the steps there are two things which you should keep in mind. And they are:
- You need to have an unlocked bootloader on your device to install TWRP.
- Make sure that TWRP Recovery supports your device. You can check that by following this link.
Things you need to have to install to TWRP Recovery:
- A TWRP supported, bootloader unlocked, Android device.
- A Computer or a Laptop
- USB Cable
- An active Internet Connection to download.
All set? Are you Ready?
Install TWRP Recovery (Without Root)
1. Head over to this link and download SDK Platform Tools for your PC. This tool is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, so download as per your Operating System.
2. Extract the downloaded zip file.
3. Now head over to TWRP’s official website (link), search for your device and download the TWRP file. Refer Screenshot.
4. Move the downloaded file to the folder which you extracted in the second step and rename it to twrp. Refer Screenshot.
5. Now on your device, head over to the Settings and then tap on About.
6. Scroll down to find Build Number. Tap on it 7 times repeatedly to enable Developer Options.
7. Go back to the phone’s Settings and then tap on Developer Options.
8. Turn on USB Debugging/Android Debugging.
9. Connect your device to your PC with the help of USB Cable.
Before you proceed with the following steps, it is recommended that you take a full backup of your device. It is more likely that these steps won’t land you in a trouble but it is always good to be on a safer side.
10. On your PC, open the extracted folder where you just copied the downloaded TWRP file. Hold Shift button and right-click on an empty area to open a pop-up.
11. Click on Open command window here.
and hit enter.
If you see random numbers that means you are ready. If not, download and install your device’s latest USB Drivers on your PC and go with the previous step again. This time it will work.
adb reboot bootloader
Hit Enter. This will take you to the bootloader of your device.
14. Once your device enters into bootloader mode, type:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Hit enter. This will flash or install TWRP Recovery on your device.
15. On your device (while it is still in botloader/fastboot mode), select Recovery by either pressing the Volume Up Button or Power Button depending upon your device.
For example, I have a Motorola Moto G (2014). In my case, I’ll have to use Volume down button to scroll down to Recovery and I’ll have to press Volume Up button to select it.
16. The device will boot into TWRP Recovery. It might take a couple of minutes for some of you.
17. The first thing that you’ll see is that TWRP is asking you to whether ‘Keep System Read Only?’. You don’t need to do anything here. Just swipe to the right to Allow Modifications.
18. That’s it. You’ve successfully installed TWRP Recovery on your device.
Install TWRP Recovery (Root Required)
Just in case you have a Rooted device, installing TWRP is even more easier.
1. Download the Official TWRP App from the Google Play Store.
2. Launch the app and Agree to the Terms & Conditions.
3. Tap on TWRP Flash.
4. Select your device and Select the TWRP version.
5. This will download the TWRP file on your device.
6. When the download is finished, Go back to the app and select Select a file to flash. Now browse and select the downloaded TWRP file.
7. Tap on Flash to Recovery.
That’s it. You’ve successfully flashed TWRP Recovery on your Android.
Now, you can go ahead and do whatever you want. Flash Custom ROMs, take backups or Root your device, if not yet rooted.
But do remember one thing. Whenever you are about to use TWRP, take a backup of your files first. Performing tasks like flashing new ROM or Rooting might brick your phone.
So it is always a good idea to take backups. TWRP allows you to do it. And it’s easy too.
There you have it guys. A bit long rather an easy guide on How to install TWRP Recovery?
Were you able to successfully install TWRP? Or are you stuck somewhere between? Don’t worry. Let me know in the comments. I can always help you out.
And don’t forget to share this article with your family and friends on your social networks.